-

-

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Before.

There are a few things you should know about me.
First,
My name is Sarah and that means princess
Which is what I've always fancied myself to be
Proceeding to help shape my corner of the world
Looking fabulous in tulle while doing so

Second,
I sometimes forget to turn the lights off when I leave a room.
And I really like crawling into fresh sheets on the bed,
Christmas lights make the room feel softer.
I'll clean up the shoes on the floor, I promise.

Third,
I'm terrified of falling.
The scars I carry have become heavier
Than they were when I first gained them.
Unfortunately people got here before you did, and sometimes
It's hard to look past the walls they constructed during their stay.
It's not personal.

Fourth,
I am in love with words. All words.
And sometimes I'll try and piece them together and
They'll come out too fast and I'll use the wrong ones
But look hard, there's a meteor shower in my soul
And they make me so excited and my heart is full
And how can you not runthingstogetherwhenyourheartisfull?

Fifth,
I forget my half-full teacups around the house.
It's a side-effect of being a dreamer.
It's okay, I'll get it eventually.
I probably got distracted by the sunlight.
It illuminates the dust in the air and I'm not sure exactly how
But there's poetry in that.

Sixth,
I remember useless things
Like the way you take your coffee and
The color of the shirt you wore the night I saw
Sparks behind your eyelids for the first time
But I tend to forget other things
Appointments, fresh milk for the fridge,
Nailpolish tops left on the counter beside the bottle
I'm working on that.

Seventh,
I hate odd numbers.
Especially 3's and 7's.
I don't really think there's logic to that one.
I just do. And this isn't an exception.

Eighth,
I believe in pinky promises and star wishes.
The world is full of ordinary,
Things fail and promises break
But add just a touch of magic, a hint of trust
And suddenly galaxies exist in the palm of your hand

Ninth,
I'm always looking for this moment
Trying to be fully here, exactly where I am.
This second to be followed by the next in
A set of perfection.
I try to live my life so that if a photograph were to
Be snapped at any second,
It would be something worth remembering.

Tenth,
I'm a lot to take on.
There's a lot of pieces that come in the package
Things that can't be so easily assembled sometimes.
I think they forgot to add the instruction manual anyway.
But there's also a lot of good that comes with accepting
You'll get notes in your lunchbox and tea first thing in the morning
You'll get your favorite meal because it's the anniversary of that one thing.
Or maybe just because it's Tuesday.
You'll get poems written about the way your fingertips
Remind me of piano keys, and your eyes of fourth of July fireworks.
With me, you'll get all the love I have to offer and then some.
It is an adventure. You can join in if you'd like.
I'm pretty sure you'll smile.

-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment