-

-

Thursday, May 8, 2014

May & See You Later.

It's the end of the year. It's that time when cardboard boxes make me more nostalgic than just about anything in the entire world, and where it's suddenly placed right up in my face how very quickly this is all moving. It's going by so fast, this whirlwind of a life. Moments keep slipping like sand through the cracks between my fingers, and they never seem to fall less quickly. How am I supposed to just let them go? How am I supposed to just let you go?

I'm going to miss you.

And it's not fair. It's not fair because I swear that it has been just seconds since we met and now you are going to be walking out into this world. It isn't fair that I can't go with you and cheer for you as you shape this planet. But, those people who do get to see you soar next? They are the luckiest ones. The new people that can count on your presence in an everyday sort of way the way that I have recently, they are in for such an amazing treat.

I want you to know that you changed me.

You have shared so many good things with me. So many laughs. Heart to heart conversations. Meals and days when I couldn't seem to keep my own chin up. Sunshine-filled walks and puddle-splashing days. Two sets of boot prints in the snow. You came into my life as the biggest blessing.  I knew from day one that we would share a very special space. And I was right. Without you, I wouldn't be the person that I am standing here as today. You've filled in a place I was unaware was empty.

You are going to do amazing things.

Really, though. You are going to change this world and I cannot wait to see as you blaze a new trail right through the thick of it. You have a fire in your eyes that I admire and envy, because I just know that you're going to use it to shift the axis of the planet on which we stand. You have big dreams, and you will achieve them. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I know that much. You've already changed my little corner of the world. Just think of how many more little corners you will touch. It's really quite astonishing. Everyone who has the chance to know you is so lucky.

Thanks. For everything. I know it's just a word, and that it's not much, but it's what I have to give. So, thanks.

You filled me on days I was empty. You gave me moments of joy and memories that I will have for the rest of my time on this journey. You showed me how to live this life to the absolute fullest and for that, you will never know how eternally grateful that I am.

Thanks for the breakfasts. For the dances. For the park trips. For the ice cream and the movie nights. Thanks for the car rides, the radio up too loud, the smiles we couldn't seem to loose. Thanks for holding me together when I started coming unglued. Thanks for pushing me to become a better person. Thanks for accepting that there are parts of me that probably won't be fixed at all. Thanks for nights out and nights in and days together and showing me a view of the world I hadn't seen before I met you. Thanks for all the moments, the memories, the love that comes from having a friend like you.

I suck at goodbyes, so how about just see you later?

And no matter where this life may take you, you'll always know where to find me.

I'm cheering for you.

All my love,

-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment